The educational model adopted by Horizons College of Learning and Enrichment is based upon the premise that each student has his/her own unique interests, needs and abilities. Small classes and flexible learning environments provide educators with the capacity to tailor and pace curriculum according to students’ individual needs. Learning is highly personalised, authentic and meaningful. One-on-one tutoring is provided where additional support is required.
The curriculum offered supports the tenets of the Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians.
The curriculum is designed to develop successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active and informed citizens. It has a strong focus on literacy and numeracy skills and will enable students to build social and emotional intelligence, to relate well to others and will foster an understanding of Australian society, citizenship and national values.
- Information and communication technology (ICT) capability
- Critical and creative thinking
- Personal and social capability
- Ethical understanding
- Intercultural understanding.
The College has a strong focus on experiential activities aligned to the curriculum. Staff consist of registered teachers, as well as qualified social/youth workers and other staff who work with the students helping them to address any barriers they have previously experienced to education.
- Computers and internet access
- Large open teaching/learning area, with smaller group teaching/learning areas
- Interview room
- Hospitality kitchen
- Workshop for industrial design and technology
- Automotive workshop
- Hairdressing training salon
- Fully equipped office and staff areas, with separate kitchen facilities
- Access to local community resources including local facilities for sports/recreational activities
Parents/caregivers are requested to contact the school immediately should any issue arise or they require information.
- Vocational Mathematics
- English Communication
- Certificate II in Workplace Practices
- Certificate II in two or three of the following:
- Visual Art
- Hair Dressing
- Information, Digital Media and Technology