The philosophy of Horizons College of Learning and Enrichment is based on the recognition that all young people deserve a positive educational experience, one which will motivate and inspire them to reach their full potential.
The College believes that all young people have unique attributes and strengths that should be celebrated, allowing them to enjoy and be challenged through learning which builds on these individual strengths and interests.
The College believes that educational opportunities should help young people to develop a sense of pride and respect (for self and others) and challenge young people to broaden their horizons (socially, emotionally and educationally) and realise their dreams and place in an ever-changing global society.
1. To promote equity and excellence
The College is committed to assisting, in particular, those young people for whom mainstream education is not meaningful and to improving educational outcomes for all students, including those from low socio-economic backgrounds and indigenous youth.
The College is committed to assisting students to overcome any barriers they may have previously experienced to full and active participation in education.
2. For all students to become successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active and informed citizens
Learning will be highly personalised, authentic and meaningful to the students, with an emphasis on critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, ethical understanding and intercultural understanding.
The community will be actively involved in teaching/learning activities and students will have the opportunity to develop a strong connection to the broader community and a sense of belonging.
3. To emphasise the importance of respect (including self-respect), learning, confidence and creativity
It is the aim of the College that students will:
- Embrace the challenges of a rapidly changing global society
- Be committed to an active and healthy lifestyle
- Be well-skilled, knowledge and prepared for further learning and their chosen post-school pathway
- Contribute to the social and environmental well-being of the local and global communities